Low cost IAQ meters don’t work, are not accurate, and we discourage homeowners from relying on these Amazon based purchases to see if their home is healthy. Many of my clients have suffered from years of poor indoor air quality because they thought their low cost IAQ meters were accurate. We’ve seen countless instances when discovering toxins in their home they are able to remove at the source making their homes healthy again leading to a decrease in symptoms.
Reasons Why Low Cost IAQ Meters Don’t Work
- Cheap Materials: utilize very low-cost metal oxide semiconductor (MOS) sensors to determine IAQ parameters MOS sensors, when combined with a circuit.
- False Positives: some manufacturers employ CMOS sensors for monitoring total volatile organic compounds (TVOCs), carbon monoxide (CO), and in some cases to derive carbon dioxide (CO2) concentration
- Under Reporting: CMOS sensors are not overly specific to gases and also react to many non-‐target gase This leads to many false positive readings, and in some cases underreporting
- Fluctuations with Humidity.. CMOS sensors are sensitive to relative humidity, which can impact the performance. Because the sensor element is heated, the resistance of the sensing layer is affected by ambient temperature changes.
- No Calibration: High end accurate sensors require routine self and manufacturer calibration These low cost unit do not have the calibration processes necessary for accuracy.
10 Ways Your Baby’s Bedroom Air Quality Can be Improved
Do not risk your family’s health with bad data. Consult with an experienced indoor air quality professional to routinely monitor your home’s air quality and take corrective actions as necessary based on accurate information. IndoorDoctor can analyze your air quality for mold, chemicals, allergens, and toxins.
How To Improve the Air Quality In Your Home During Renovations