Rubber baseboards will cause the lower wall to retain excess moisture after a water damage incident or even with routine carpet or hard floor cleaning. Floors at or below ground level are subject to retain excess moisture through a wicking action called capillary action.
Insulation is like a sponge and once it gets wet it will take a really long time to fully dry. The wet insulation will cause mold and foul odors even when the exterior wall has dried. Wall drying techniques are generally ineffective at drying insulation.
Do you or know somebody who lives in a home with the noxious “Basement Smell”? Based on thousands of assessments we’ve conducted and the resulting tens of thousands of samples processed as Indoor Air Quality Specialists, I can say with certainty that basement air is the most compromised air in every house.
An IndoorDoctor Healthy Air Check encompasses a wide variety of tests and instant diagnostic data to screen potential indoor air pollutants for multiple areas. This package is a good starting point for someone who wants to know if their air is healthy and free of dangerous contaminates.
Instead of keeping you clean, many front-loading washing machines can make you green with toxic mold and harmful bacteria’s. Water accumulates behind the seals. You may not notice visual signs of mold but every time you open and close the washer door you could be releasing tens of thousands of toxic mold spores, usually of the Cladosporium type.
The application of spray foam is easy, but the removal is nearly impossible. The volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and mal-odors resulting from spray foam can absorb into nearby building materials and furnishings, allowing odors to permeate for years. Residual foam will remain embedded within the wood structures.
Toxic spray foam off-gasses or releases harmful chemicals in the air, some of which you can smell and some of which you cannot. Many of these chemicals cause immediate or acute reactions and can cause long-lasting and permanent damage to your body.
Often overlooked by our clients is their sensitivity to dust mites. Typically people sensitive to other indoor pollutants and allergens like molds are very susceptible to the allergic affects of dust mites. Generally people assume that “dust mites are everywhere” and “there’s not much you can do about them.